Thursday, April 25, 2013

Stripy Vest

Two things have been determining my crafting lately: the weather and Little Miss B's non stop growth. Naturally enough she doesn't fit into any of last year's cold weather clothing and now needs jumpers and cardigans pretty urgently.

I think she is more excited about having something made for her than about the vest itself!
I had a stitch pattern that I quite liked and decided to use it to make up a vest or jumper. When I started I didn't know if I would attempt to make sleeves or not. I say attempt because this pattern is all my own design and I wasn't sure if I had the know how to make sleeves to fit the armholes and also fit her arms. A decision was made to keep it as a vest.


The vest was crocheted in the round from the bottom up to the armpit area, then in rows. I started with foundation single crochet instead of a chain. I recently read the tutorial for this stitch on Doris Chan's website. Unfortunately I still needed a bit more information so I watched a YouTube tutorial to help make it a little clearer. It's actually pretty simple once you get the hang of where to put the hook, but I didn't find it to be particularly quick.


It's not going to win any awards for design, but I am quite pleased with how it has turned out. I used my old favourite Moda Vera Beetle with my 4mm hook.

Front view

Back view
I have another jumper on the hook which I need to finish for her now, ta dah moment coming soon!

xXx Helen

3 comments:

  1. She looks very happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pullover project. Thanks for visiting Three Stories High see you again soon. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Helen,
    Its just such a practical garment and can also be very cute when using a variety of colours as you have done. I bet you'll be doing a few more too. Miss looks extremely pleased about it LOL!


    and yes don't they grow so very fast :-)

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to hear from my readers so feel free to leave a comment. If you are reading one of my yarn reviews please let me know if you find it helpful.