Little Miss B starting pre-school (known as kindergarten in this part of the world) this year has meant a big change to our routine, or more importantly has suddenly thrust us into a routine. Her group attends four days a week at various times, one session requiring the provision of lunch. She goes with her snacks in her lunchbox every day, but on that one day a week I also have to provide a sandwich. Having already provided her with a lunchbox I didn't think that would be a problem. However on lunch days we have to put the sandwich into a box and the teachers hand them out. I don't keep a stash of paper bags or ziplock bags and one cling wrapped sandwich is much like another. I needed some way to both contain her sandwich and identify it at the same time.
I had seen on Pinterest links to tutorials to make your own reusable sandwich or snack bags and I thought I would give it a try.
But first I needed a working sewing machine. I actually do have a sewing machine BUT I accidentally threw away the power cord! Then I spotted this little beauty at a discount shop for $25.
It is teeny tiny. The ruler in front is a 5 inch / 12 cm measurement. The rest of the items in the photo are from my subsequent trip to Spotlight to get some items I needed.
Anyway, with a functioning sewing machine now there was no excuse not to make the bag(s).
I located my favourite online tutorial, and set to it. Cleared the dining room table, set up the computer with the tutorial on screen, organised my little sewing machine and learned how to use it, made a pattern from paper towel!, and then just plunged right in.
One thing I should mention outright is that I am not a sewer, I don't particularly enjoy sewing and my skills are extremely basic. A second thing I should mention is that the sewing machine is battery operated, doesn't do anything except a regular running stitch and the tension seems to be much too tight. Thankfully the tutorial is well set out and I carefully followed it step by step.
I cut out my lining and the outer layer. The lining is a wipe clean fabric, the other is cotton.
I started sewing, with much trepidation. I quickly discovered that the seams needed to be gone over twice as the tension was really shonky. The only part I didn't go over twice was the velcro strips, but I wish I had.
If you have really keen eyes you might be able to see the pins in place where I subsequently stitched by hand. Please ignore the bad sewing on the velcro.
A lovely little bag with no seams to catch the crumbs.
And the finished object. Slightly wonky but very easy to make. There is no way I would have been able to work it out myself without the clear instructions. But now I know how to make them I'll make heaps in all different sizes!
You may be wondering about the fabric choices. Well the cotton is a fat quarter called frogs eggs or tadpole or similar. The blue inner fabric was the only waterproof or wipe free option available in the store. I also purchased a mermaid fat quarter and I intend to use it to make another of these little bags soon.
One thing I should mention is that the tutorial indicates that it takes only half an hour to make. It took me 2 and a half from the time I started stuffing around, to the time I finished. So for any absolute beginners out there who want to make one too, allow plenty of time! I expect that now that I know what I am doing I will make the next one a lot quicker.
One last little look at the completed project!